Tuesday, April 3, 2012

To eat or not to eat nutrition bars...

Over the last year I have been extremely intrigued by nutrition/protein bars and whether or not they can stand their own for a meal replacement and/or snack.  Typically I say whole food is ideal since the food itself will contain many nutrients and offer the best health benefits. Breakfast tends to be one of my favorite meals of the day and since it is important to get metabolism going then I never skip! There are many options for breakfast that  offer better overall nutrition compared to a processed bar.  Some of these whole food breakfast items may include oatmeal, toast with peanut butter, yogurt with fruit and eggs to name a few.

Since I also have occasional days when I might be running a little behind and need an "on-the-go" breakfast I decided to give one a try. After spending 30 minutes in the grocery store, more specifically the nutrition bar aisle I decided to go with a Luna bar.

Flavors I tried                         (Calories, protein, sugar, saturated fat)
- Peanut Butter Cookie           (180 kcal, 9 grams, 11 grams, 2 grams)
- S'mores                                (180 kcal, 9 grams, 13 grams, 2.5 grams)
- Peanut Honey Pretzel          (190 kcal, 9 grams, 11 grams, 2.5 grams)
- Iced Oatmeal Cookie           (180 kcal, 9 grams, 13 grams, 2 grams)
- Chocolate Dipped Coconut (190 kcal, 9 grams, 11 grams, 4 grams)
- Vanilla Almond                   (190 kcal, 10 grams, 11 grams, 2 grams)

I have to say for flavor that Vanilla Almond and Peanut butter Cookie are my favorite. The vanilla almond bar also has 10 grams of protein and only 2 grams of saturated fat. When looking for bars, these were four of the main nutrition facts that I looked at. I am still in the process of comparing them to other nutrition bars, but so far these are my personal favorite.



No comments:

Post a Comment