Saturday, April 14, 2012

Farmer's Market Saturday!

How do you start off your Saturday morning??

Well this morning I had an opportunity to run in the inaugural Crop Hop Farmer's Market 5k race. It was a lot of fun and what better way to start off the morning sponsoring the local farmer's.  Two other dietetic interns joined me in this morning endeavor, which made it that much more enjoyable. We definitely took advantage of the free bandanas to help dress the part! The race was beautiful as we ran along river and through historic downtown Memphis...the perfect way to start my Saturday!

Afterwards, we walked through the local Farmer's Market and were overwhelmed by all the different fresh produce vendors. There is nothing like cooking with produce straight from the farm itself! I ended up bringing home some fresh greens, sugar-free homemade granola and some individual-sized sweet potatoes! It was hard not to stop at every booth and want to get something different - I definitely had to limit myself! We tried some amazing sweet pralines that would be hard to set down after opening the bag - so unfortunately I had to decline those for today's adventure however one of these weeks I may just have to give in.

Most cities have their own local farmer's market - even if it is small I would highly recommend grabbing some fresh greens, vegetables and other unique/fun ingredients to incorporate into this weeks dinner menu! It will mix up the normal menu and add some nutrients along with variety! Enjoy and relax on this beautiful Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment