Wednesday, June 29, 2011

It takes a village to lose a pound...


This summer I have found myself with a “nagging 5 pounds” that seems to be impossible to get rid of.  Unless I miss my guess, someone reading this shares the same kind of issue. I find myself frustrated in the midst of wedding cake, chocolate and other tempting desserts from all the summer activities.  I am slowly starting to recognize the need for accountability during this process of losing weight.  You might say… “It takes a village to lose a pound.”  Behind any task or mission, strength is required.  The task of getting fit or, in my case, losing those nagging few pounds, is no different.  It requires a measure of strength that sometimes is only acquired in “community”.  Two weeks ago I started with Crossfit bootcamp.  It is so much easier to stay motivated when there is a group of people going through the same thing.  All of this to say that working together and partnering with someone for encouragement is likely to help achieve a positive outcome.

Even though I have increased my exercise regiment and have tried to watch what I eat the weight seems to linger.  It becomes frustrating and leads to discouragement.  I have to say some days I bring it upon myself.  For instance, last night as a group of girls gathered around to watch this season of the Bachelorette and it was my night for dessert!  I indulged in this new (and amazing) dessert: The Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie n’ Oreo Fudge Brownie Bar.  (Just saying those words will add ½ inch to your waist.)  I will not share the recipe here as I’m trying to forget about it.

I have learned over the last few months with the scale becoming a rollercoaster that I need to stick with the motto: “eat to live” and not “live to eat”.  My (and your) social activities typically revolve around food.  Food is a short taste of pleasure that leaves a feeling of guilt at the end of the day.  So, the goal I have set for myself is to find an accountability partner who would join me in eating healthy and maintaining a normal exercise regimen.  It is a hard task and I know doing it alone is becoming nearly impossible.  I am going to put together a post in the near future dealing with healthier food choices and snacks to eat when the feeling of “needing chocolate” hits again.  If you struggle with this, know that you are not alone.  It is a daily battle and with some encouragement and with a “village” behind you, you can accomplish even your most difficult (and nagging) task!

1 comment:

  1. Well done! I want to be part of the village! I need to exercise more consistently. Help!!!

    ReplyDelete